HISTORY 

R+N TIMELINE

 

1948

The business starts in the harsh post-war economic environment, when Vivian Resnekov, a Civil Engineer joins forces with Eric Nielsen, a Master Builder. In its infancy, Resnekov + Nielsen faces fierce competition and a challenging slump in the building industry. Uncompromising in their values, the heritage of a company built on integrity and perseverance is born. The first contract is a house in Milnerton.

 

1952

Vivian Resnekov emigrates to Israel and the late Gerald Kling takes over. Focusing on developing the civil engineering direction of the company, Kling injects the energy and professionalism into the firm that R+N is known for today.

 

1965

Gerald Phillips, a Professional Quantity Surveyor and third generation builder, joins the partnership. A move away from civil work inspires R+N to turn towards construction and property development.

 

1967

Eric Nielsen retires.

 

1979

Brian Rabinowitz, a Construction Supervisor who started as a student with the company in 1971, becomes a partner.

 

1980

Jerry Rogers, a Quantity Surveyor joins the Kling, Phillips and Rabinowitz partnership.

 

1983

Peter Truter, a BSC Building Graduate of UCT joins as a partner

 

1988

Having been involved in the extensive restoration process, R+N celebrates their 40th anniversary celebrations at South Africa’s oldest and best known national monument, The Castle of Good Hope.

 

1993

In conjunction with a consortium of investors and Arx II Architects, R+N embark on the renovation and redevelopment of the four story complex originally built in 1907 for the United Tobacco Company on Kloof Street. The creation of the Longkloof Studios is testament to the success of creatively preserving buildings through recycling.

 

1994

Gerald Kling retires. The ‘Masisebenzisane - let’s work together’ slogan is adopted.

 

1995

Arthur Ndzolo Jacobs leaves R+N to pursue a full time career in politics. In 1996 he becomes Deputy Mayor of Cape Town.

 

1996

New partners Kevin Dore, Quantity Surveyor and Lawrence Sims, Buyer, join the team.

 

1998

R+N celebrates its 50th anniversary and continues trading through arguably some of the toughest trading conditions experienced since the company was formed.

 

2003

Directors Gerald Phillips and Jerry Rogers retire.

 

2004

The succession planning and business development of the past 10 years pays off as new Partners come on board and the business shows strong growth. Resnekov & Nielsen changes to R+N Master Builders, heralding in the new era. Lawrence Sims retires.

 

2005

The business repositions itself taking on bigger projects including The Majestic Village in Kalk Bay, 34 St George’s and The Hudson (built on the company’s head office location of 30 years) on Strand Street.

 

2008

R+N celebrate 60 years as a leading firm of Master Builders with a sterling reputation for quality construction and delivery. Partners Cala Bester, Roger Buttress and Shay Nicholls are appointed Directors.

 

2009

R+N completes the Cape Quarter Extension and with a combined contract value of approximately R250 million is the largest project completed in the history of the Company.

 

2011

Director Peter Truter retires.

 

2012

After only 7 years of trading under the name R+N Master Builders, the new management team celebrate the completion of 100 projects across a diverse spectrum and representing in excess of  R1 billion worth of turnover.

 

2013

R+N celebrate 65 years of continuous trading as one of the premier privately owned medium sized construction companies in the Western Cape.

2016

Lance Bailey is appointed as a Director.

2018

R+N celebrates 70 years of continuous and successful trading.

 

Directors Brian Rabinowitz & Kevin Dore retire to pursue their property portfolio.

R+N Master Builders and LA Developments combine their specialized skills and merge under the banner of R+N.

Anton Mandelstam is appointed as a Director.

© 2018 R + N MASTER BUILDERS (CAPE) (PTY) LTD. All rights reserved.

Tel: +27 21 422 3580   |   info@r-n.co.za